Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:53:08 +0200

Leslie W Bartlett wrote:

>         Most of us never will live in the rare-air of concert tuners, and HT's
> will be a point of interest, but we'll seldom, in the practical world of
> the POS and PSO, (yes, I know you don't like those acronyms) be in a
> position of dealing daily with HT's.  No disrespect to any who are so
> involved in the renewed interest in them.  But there are simply a lot of
> people who will not find themselves needing them for their "daily bread."

Course this isnt really the point.... actually the same advice I give to Bill
applies quite nicely here as well. Who gives a flying tomato what others think ??
I mean ok... ya gots to do the appropriate thing at the appropriate time, but the
fact that you may never get a chance to do concert tunings should in no way keep
you from exploring the greater world of tuning. I personally am convinced that
becoming adept at various alternative temperments will be and adventure that the
every day Joe on the street tuner would find fun, educational, a nice diversion
from the everyday grind, interesting, valuable, and will contribute very
positively towards ET skills. Just becoming aware of how these temperaments are
contructed and put into work is valuable enough..

Perhaps you dont believe this.. so I ask all of you the following question with a
quick backdrop fact first.

The Pythagorean comma (something we should all know exactly what is) results from
tuning a succesion of perfect 5ths (alternate 5ths droped an octave). It is the
"left over" that occurs when the circle of 5ths is completed. The final 5th is
24cents off  "what it should be" (grin).

What temperment results when each 5th is shortened (reduced, squeezed, shrunk...
whatever you prefer...grin) by 2 cents.

If you dont know the answer to that... hey... you should.

Many of you will of course know this, but I think you all would be suprised to
know how many tuners (qualified, registered, educated.. or otherwise) do not.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.