help wanted...very long

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:00:22 -0600

Hi Brian,
               Partnershipping is the key word for contract dealer
tech/relationships, I'm fortunate in having the best tech's in the area
working with us. They also have a fairly long and satisfactory relationship
with the store and each other. (5 techs)
Dealers that under pay their tech's end up like a revolving door,
constantly changing. They also end up with the greener type tech's in the
area. Guess what the customer service is like?
Guess where the two way loyalty is? Hmmmm.
In the long term who needs this type of dealer.

I think we pay our contract tech's very fairly, and treat them like part of
the store family.

Now as a dealer, I don't ask, but insist on their very best work.
 I hate haggling over money. So give me a fair rate, and let's build common
trust so that I don't have to question any of a tech's bill's. In fact with
our current system I don't even look at individual bill's. It comes out in
the wash as a percentage of sales, on the monthly statement.
Over the years I have parted company from many RPT's that would do one
standard of work in the store where they knew it would be checked, and give
another standard in the field.

  We make a point of checking at least a few pianos in the field every
month. This way we can ensure the standards remain high. We also question
the customer about our services, product, sales staff, movers, and yes
tuners.  This is not a I'm trying to catch you type check up, but how can
we all do better.

 If a piano tech builds his business to the point he can no longer handle
any store work, I'm happy for him. And we continue to have a good
relationship.

My ultimate test for a good technician, is customer retention, how loyal is
the customer to the front line PROFFESSIONAL.  Only good consistent work
will develop this kind of loyalty, begining tech's have to develop the
skills to gain this loyalty.  Suprising how loyal a dealer becomes to a
tech when they hear positive feed back from customers.

I have a moral obligation to promote my partnering tech's, they in return
have the same moral obligation to me.

Just a rambling personal opinion.
Roger
Roger Jolly