Sherman Clay

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 22:14:48 -0600

We have a question for west coast tuners. At about 1984 who was producing
pianos for Sherman Clay? Was it Samick or Sojin, or both at different times?

(Back then Sherman Clay was a west coast dealer with about 23 pianos stores,
down to about 11 lately I've heard).

We've found a Sherman Clay 5'2" grand that was purchased in San Francisco in
1984 and the buyer was not told it was an Asian piano. Now there is a new
owner who would like to know the maker.

I'm not that familiar with Samick or Sojin features that far back. This
piano has a mysterious serian number. There is no number on the plate in the
usual area. There is a number of 8,104,744 stamped on the edge of the keybed
back where the lyre mounts. This same 8 million number is visible on the key
frame with the keyslip removed. Even Yamaha has only a 5 million number.

Embossed in the plate are the numbers 6311 which must be the model number.
It is not an exciting piano but we are curious about the maker.

We thought west coast tuners would be more familiar with Sherman Clay.
Thanks.

Sy Zabrocki