Renner USA Responds to Boring Jig Price

Lloyd Meyer renner@rennerusa.com
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 08:34:50 PST

Dear Brian, List, et al,

The confusion about our prices seems to stem from our not having raised prices in three years.  Our June 1, 1997 price list is still valid.  We will probably need to increase prices later this year which will be our second increase in about 6 or 7 years.  We are able to do this by selling only direct, and maintaining very low overhead.  We do not use retail credit cards, toll free phones, etc., which bothers some of our smaller customers.  However, they also benefit from the same low prices we make available to piano factories and major rebuilders.  There is no “price fixing” or discrimination as Brian asks.  Everyone pays the same.

There can be a price difference on the tools, however.  The Renner USA hammer boring jig is $275.00, as Roger said, and has been for over three years.  In order to promote attendance at the PTG seminars, we often lower our tool prices by 30% at the conventions.  In the case of the jigs, that reduces the price to $195.00.  We offset this discount by not shipping an inventory of tools to the conventions.  We only take samples, and ship later from one of our warehouses.  That’s not as convenient, but can save us $2,000+ in freight costs for larger conventions which we prefer to pass along to you.  I wish I had been smart enough to figure that out earlier.

The design of the Renner Jig originated with a special project at MIT and was then refined by our engineers and actually tested at the Mason & Hamlin factory, when I was consulting them, where it has been used for all of their hammer boring.  We initially tried wood, but no matter what you do it does move, and we then went to this special material which is stable and used extensively for manufacturing jigs and fixtures.

Sorry for such a long response, but pricing questions of this type do need to be responded to, plus I guess I got a little free advertising in the process.  Best wishes to you all, and keep up the good work you're doing.  I'm not able to visit your forum as often as before, but am happy I caught this thread.

Lloyd Meyer
Renner USA