FRONT RAIL KEYPIN SHAPE

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:17:37 -0100

Hi,

The real question is, why aren't all balance pins oblong at the top?
With this arrangement, button and mortise can be mortised with the same
tool, at the same time. Not only that, the number of doglegs in a key
can be reduced since the buttons aren't so compromised in width, and
therefore lengthening their working grain. Seems to me the extra cost of
a 0.147" shank, 0.089" tip balance pin would offset the cost of keyplank
layout, button placement and button trimming, where bushing would be
directly on each key - before or after sawing.

Yes, the oblong shape of front pins lend them to adjustment when
bushings become worn - however, this only compounds the original
problems of misplacement. Round balance pins, similarly misplaced,
exhibit deformed bushings (perhaps more, due their tighter radius and
smaller travel) - ideally they should be positioned to intersect a
variable touch point and fixed jack or capstan position, according with
the leverage required by the action.

I've been replacing well-placed oblong-tip balance pins with round
wherever I find them. Like many other antique features I wish they were
more available. I've made a tool for this replacement if you're
interested.

Disgruntled,

Clark