Bach and ET (or was that Meantone?)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:07:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/00 7:57:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
remoody@midstatesd.net (Richard Moody) writes:

<< >    After Bach's death, his son, CPE Bach was asked about his father's
 > preference and stated that the old man did NOT prefer equal temperament.

     This is evidence that ET did exist in Bach's time because how could he
 have a preference one way or the other for something that did not exist?  >>

How can it be certain that Bach was not actually referring erroneously to
Well-Tempered Tuning when he spoke of not liking ET?  Much of the WT Clavier
music works well in 1/4 or 1/5 Comma Meantone (1/4CMT), only those in the
remote keys, the ones that WT is designed to make acceptable don't sound
right in 1/4 or 1/5 CMT.  I have ironically heard just the opposite of the
commonly raised question posed:  How do we know that Bach didn't actually
prefer Meantone (1/4 or 1/5)?

In a message dated 4/19/00 7:58:34 AM Central Daylight Time,