why use non-ET?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:26:06 PDT

Hi everyone!

So the question usually comes up.  Why tune in any other temperament?

For me, it was because I came to question the target.  Before I got a
precise enough tool to check myself with, (RCT) I noticed what I dubbed the
"vintage wine" effect.  Just as there are great years, and not-so-great
years from the same vinyard, I noticed that sometimes I came up with tunings
that just seemed to play better than others.

Blessed with some time to experiment, I once spent 6 hours with a 7' Baldwin
trying to get within .2 cents of ET.  Did I achieve musical nirvana?  Nope,
but it was really even!

So what is your margin for error?  I think what happens is that looking at
graphs shows the target without the margin for error.

Here's ET - watch out graph-man's at it again!