voicing "brush"

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:44:42 -0700

My God, Terry...what have you done?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, this perfectly acceptable, but I use a plastic bristled, vegetable
brush.  The brass bristles mellow it a little too much for my taste.
Understand you are working with the top layer only and it won't last very
long on a played piano.  On a similar note, with a grand, sometimes simply
putting a business card (even my own) between the keyframe and the bass/side
case, thus shimming it slightly over which allows the hammer to hit softer
felt, can give the customer an idea about what voicing could do for their
piano.  This is also effectove in the concert situation where someone wants
a "warmer" tone, instead of needling the hammers for a temporary situation.

David I.

David I>

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Charly Tuner
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 5:00 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: voicing "brush"

Being a newbie I'm sure this idea isn't new, but I experimented on the
hammers of my own old vertical by very lightly "brushing" the hammers with a
soft (brass colored) wire brush, about the size of a large toothbrush. I
followed the contour of the hammers just as if I was using a sanding paddle,
and with only a few very light strokes, stopped and played each note. My
piano was sounding very harsh and bright before, but now it has a very
pleasing, warm tone! I was quite surprised at the result. I had used a
solution of isopropyl & "snuggles" on a few of the harsher sounding hammers
a while back, and that also worked well, but I like this method better. I
think I may try this on some of the trade in, cheapies at the store, like
this one Sherman Clay console that's brighter than a Roman Candle..almost
sounds like a harsichord! A few strokes with the brush should mellow it out.

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA
Associate Member, PTG