ELIAN.off topic

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 09:28:14 -0700

List,

Anyone wishing to find out what Cuba is like is welcome to come with us on the
next Send A Piana To Havana brigade.  Is it a poor country?  Yes, but the burdon
is shared.  There are no homeless and everyone has access to free education and
health care.  Unlike almost all third world countries, no one has to worry about
sheer survival and everyone has at least a decent standard of living, though in
many cases not much more.  I never found a part of town where I couldn't walk
safely.  And unlike many of the former Iron Curtain countries, visitors are
absolutely free to go wherever they want.

It is not Paradise.  It is a one party system without open elections.  But it is
also relatively free of corruption.  Even the man at the top doesn't care about
enriching himself, although most people are rather tired of him being in charge.
Repressive?  To a degree, but not as much as many third world countries,
certainly not as much as the former Iron Curtain countries, and probably a lot
less than Miami.

Paul S. Larudee