Beware! Worn out tuning tip.

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:06:06 -0500

Brian Trout wrote:

> Hi Johannes,
>
> What's the weather like there?  It's not just idle conversation.
>
> I've come to appreciate that changing weather patterns and related
> conditions can wreak havoc upon the best of tunings.

	Amen to that. Here in the humid SE I've experienced horrors relating to
climate changes. I now keep a temp and humidity guage with me and record
them everywhere I go. It's a great way to show what's happening,
especially where you tune for concerts or several times a year. It can
help you decide whether a piano should stay down at 439+ or be pulled
back down from 441. Around here the swing can be as much as 436 to 444
with the RH going from the upper 20s to the mid to upper 60s. (Yes, I
have lots of work)
	I used to go for 440 every time but that seems to be like swimming
against the tide. It also can make for a more expensive and less stable
tuning.
	Dan J - Wmbg Va