Soundboards

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:59:16 -0500

Ron Nossaman wrote:
. Only one manufacturer has ever believed
> me when I described a soundboard problem, the rest all wanted it to be
> something easier to fix. After the parade of manufacturer arranged techs
> who tune, voice, regulate, buff and exorcize first the piano, then the
> owner, and the dust finally settles, the sound problems are still there. I
> am naturally the bad guy then, since I initially diagnosed the problem (
> incorrectly, of course - it just CAN'T be the SOUNDBOARD!) and I declined
> to somehow make it go away for them quickly and cheaply, and thus cost them
> a lot of money trying to patch up the problem I caused.
> .
>
> Has anybody else got any suggestions for these situations? Hopefully one
> where the problem gets fixed.
>
> Ron N

Ron,
	 My gut response is...tell the truth up front...if you can physically
identify it. I admit to very little dealings with manufacturers, but
lots with people and after all they are just people.
It's hard to tell someone who just spent thousands or even 10s of
thousands that their instrument is flawed or even that word that Kristen
used.
	As long as you have evidence to prove your point then you're on solid
ground, whether the problem is resolved or not. Remember, you didn't
create this problem, you only found it and pointed it out. I put it back
on the dealer for they are the direct connection to the manufacturer and
thus the ones to hash it out.
	I remember when a Martin guitar was a guaranteed wonderful instrument.
A friend of mine visited their factory back in the late 60s or very
early 70s and was horrified to watch a man destroy a new guitar because
he determined it to be flawed and not deserving of entering the world.
	Can you imagine the number of pianos that would have to be destroyed if
such quality control existed?
	I know this isn't what you're looking for but I had a visceral reaction
(and I've read this 4 times).