stringing

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:25:26 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/2000 8:46:41 AM, Les wrote:

<<I'd appreciate some discussion of removal of tuning pins prior to
restringing.  I've been told to pull them fast, as with an electric
drill, but that scorches the hole, and I've been told to pull them
slowly, as with a tuning hammer, but that causes wear through flagpoling.
  Each seems to have its advantages and disadvantages.>>

Les;
 I have removed pins with a tuning hammer, a brace and with an electric drill
and after cleaning and/or reaming the block can recall no discernible
difference in these different techniques...although I am sure there is some
element of difference.

Tuning hammer--- If using a hammer for removal I would use a long, "6", tip.
In this way you can support the tip in a more proper position while cranking
the hammer and lessen any "flagpoling" tendencies.  Warning* causes blisters
on the palm of the hand used for cranking the hammer around and around and
around and......

  Brace---If using a brace for pin removal use an appropiately designed or
modified tip for good fit...otherwise this method has a tendency to cause
embarrasing bruises under your chin. :-)

 Electric drill--- For this also use an appropiate tip designed or modified
for good fit to the drill. I use a Milwaukee 1/2", 0-800 rpm, reversible,
variable speed drill for this duty. This model is kinda heavy, but is heavy
duty, and has an auxillary handle that may be screwed to either side for
extra control and comfort.  I would not think of removing another set of pins
without it.

  Whatever method you decide to use be sure to clean and/or ream the holes
before repinning.
off topic--
While not a fan of Ms. Reno I believe she did the right thing if in the wrong
manner. I can understand the reasons it was done in the manner it was, even
if I don't agree with them.....................
Jim Bryant (FL)