Guarantees

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:27:18 -0500

>I have a "nutshell" explanation that I give for this and would recommend that
>you come up with one of your own and slip it in where you can.  I'd recommend
>first that you use it with all new customers, especially one where they say
>they had it tuned only recently and it is already out.  If it has bad octaves
>across the bass/tenor break, you will immediately know it is because of a
>humidity shift.

I agree. New customers will help you do this by asking either "Why did it
go out so quickly?", or "When should I have it tuned again?", or both. You
couldn't ask for a better chance to make your pitch. Customers, new and
old, often see my thermometer/hygrometer sitting on the piano during the
tuning and ask if that's some kind of new tuning machine. I grab the
opportunity to pack a little humidity education into them on the spot.
Since They volunteered their attention, again, I don't think there's a
better time. If they've heard it from me before, it will sound familiar to
them and, having heard it before (but they're not sure where), it will have
more credibility for them than if you just gave it to them cold. How's that
for using human nature to your own self serving ends and the good of the
customer?

-------- snip humidity lecture ---------

I do very much the same thing, but tend toward more hand gestures.

Ron N