clicking key

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 22:59:12 -0600

Hi Ed,
          If the rubber grommet in the bottom of the damper lever tray is
hard/ or disintegrated  it will cause this symptom. I usually find when one
part of the trap work is badly worn, I'll opt for rebushing the whole system.
Yamaha sells a kit to rebush the bottom of the pedal rods, change these as
well. the customer pays and no recalls, every ones happy. It's not a long
job, 1hr to 1 1/2hr, parts are nickle and dime.

For the clicking, check the centre pinning, this is often over looked. But
more imfo is required.

Regards Roger

At 03:26 PM 29/04/00 -0700, you wrote:
>My Esteemed Friends:
>
>  1979 Yamaha grand, Seems to have a lot more problems than it should...
>The sustain pedal squeeks where the rod goes through the guide just under
>the mainframe.  I have VJ lubed, I have waxed, I have changed the rod
>itself.
>  Is the next thing to change the felt liner?  Seems like that would be the
>logical next step?
>
>  Problem two.  the keys click when being released.  As if wood on wood as
>the hammer comes back to rest.  I haven't yet gone into the action For this
>problem, although I have been in for some other regulatory things.  It
>seems to be a problem across the entire keyboard.  What likely things
>should I look for?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

>Ed Carwithen
>John Day, OR