Killing the List

Woodrow, John (Parramatta) John.Woodrow@pil.com.au
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:53:28 +1100

List,
I receive the list in digest form.  I logged onto my computer this morning
for the first time in 3 days and there were 26 digests of Pianotech list,
TWENTY-SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I have watched guys like Bob B. and Ed Foote trying to reason with this
forum to stop sending non-technical postings, 'me-toos', and HTML garbage.
I one-hundred and ten percent agree with them and I am sure many others do
so as well.

I have been following this list for about 5 years now, and can clearly
remember the 'good-old' days when 95% of posts were technical in nature and
we had just the odd joke or comment.  Every post was worth reading, and I
looked forward to each day's discussion.  Go back in the archives 3 or 4
years, any digest, and read the content and check out the name of the
contributors, impressive.  Now I can read 6 or 7 digests in a row and be
lucky to find anything of worth.  I am just on the point of considering that
there is no more value to me in this list.

The reason I have bothered to spend the time writing this is because I once
considered this list to be the most valuable resource possible.  From this
list, or my own investigations that may have resulted from an idea raised
here, I would have to acknowledge that just about everything I know about
pianos is a result of this list.  So it saddens me no end to see this once
valuable resource reduced to little more than trivial social pages.

I'll make a wish for Christmas ....... please Santa, return Pianotech list
back to the valuable resource for piano technicians that it once was.

John Woodrow