other instruments

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:18:34 EST

In a message dated 12/18/00 12:03:24 PM Central Standard Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com writes:

> In piano tuning, you get one shot to make that puppy work for all types of
> music.  It is a static thing, once set, can't be changed by the performer
> during a performance.
>
> As an instrument repair guy as well, I get to see lots of repairs done to
> band and orchestra instruments that are.....well....creative.

I agree that there is a difference between tuning a piano and tuning a
trumpet. The point I was trying to make, however, is that I think more
emphasis should be placed on teaching repairs, especially in college. The
only reason I learned to repair the band instruments when I was teaching
band, was because my dad ran a music store, and he learned how to repair
them, (and he in turn, taught me). But I think more emphasis should be placed
on learning this stuff in college. Not so much that the player actually knows
how to do a repair, although that would be good too, but at least so that the
player can explain the problem to the repair man.

The same goes for the piano player. It is a shame how many of them don't know
a think of what's going on behind the fall board.

Willem