imagined temperament controversy

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:35:12 EST

In a message dated 12/28/00 6:27:34 PM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no (Richard Brekne) writes:

> >  From my own experience, the subject of temperaments has been an enticing
> > and attractive one for the vast majority of technicians and customers I
> have
> > come into contact with.  It has been a source of broader horizons for
> myself
> > as well as a subject with which I have had many enjoyable discussions
> among a
> > growing number of technicians.
>
> I would have to aggree with Ed on this point. I have registered exactly one
> person on this list in the past 2 years that spoke with out and out disdain
> for

Well, Richard & Ed, I have had the same experience too.  It's just that the
*one exception* you speak of can carry more force behind it than all of the
positives put together.  Take a few examples:  I was handing out flyers to
promote an HT performance by Owen Jorgensen before the Council Meeting at a
Convention.  Everyone smiled and said "thank you" as I handed them the
invitation until I came along to one guy I did not know but who was
representing the Milwaukee Chapter.

"You! I *know* who you are!  Get AWAY from me!  No! I DON'T want to go hear
THAT!"  The piano is *designed* for ET!  The *Exam* is ET!  You must be CRAZY
or something!"

The "incident" in Albuquerque where small group of very angry techs
confronted Kent Webb and where Ed himself condemned what I had done, to my
face (and obviously to others that night) and again on this List.

The incident in Milwaukee where the convention directors stormed in on the HT
presentation at the end of the class period, banging chairs and partitions,
shooing out the people in the room.  At a Regional Seminar in that same city,
the director let pianos go untuned, including a Yamaha Disklavier that
tinkled on, thoroughly out of tune in the hallway because he said he did not
want to have to *pay* someone to tune any pianos *BACK* to ET.  He added, "We
had a meeting about that".

The incident in Providence where I had the Walter Grand tuned in EBVT.
Scores of people came by and praised both the piano and the way it was tuned.
 It went on to win the Temperament Festival contest.  But there was just one
guy who was thoroughly disgusted at the fact that a piano in the Exhibits was
tuned in anything other than ET.  He scolded Virgil Wesco of the Walter
family and company up one side and down the other.  He told me, "I came here
to hear the Walter Piano, not your damned *experimment*!.

Then there were the many assaults from Wally Brooks.  Childish as his
tauntings were and as much as they were ignored, shrugged off and dismissed,
they continued.  He is on record as having written to PTG that the use of
HT's is "unethical".  Many people on this List have said so too.

Then there was one of the former PTG Presidents who wrote a letter saying
much the same thing to a list of my clients.  (Gee thanks, I needed that kind
of encouragement).

Last, but not least, there was the incident at the last Convention where Tim
Farley RPT had an Estonia Grand in the Exhibits tuned in 1/7 Comma Meantone
(the same temperament that Ed condemned at Albuquerque).  No one really
recognized the difference (there are, after all, a lot of conflicting sounds
at this event).  But all Tim had to do was tell that proverbial *one guy*
that it was an HT and he then went ballistic.  Later that day, someone was
sent in to ruin Tim's tuning by running an FAC program on that piano.

Those are just the incidents that come immediately to mind.  Do you really
think it is *all* in my imagination?

On the other hand, I have a local recording artist who has now begun to use
my services and the EBVT.  He has made 2 CD's already and another is being
planned.  When the time comes that a CD is available with the EBVT, I'll be
sure to let you all know.  Also, there is a fresh, new bite from Disney
Productions in Southern California.  I have had a long standing relationship
as a writer and now there is a producer who is not only interested in my
tuning concepts but the idea for an entire film and the music that will be in
it.  He just bought a brand new Yamaha C-7 and I will be flying out to tune
it and discuss concepts within the next few months.

So you see, I am not at all concerned about being shunned by anyone on this
List.  I get so much private mail that I can hardly keep up with it.  In
fact, I really wish those who are like that "one guy" who just gets all bent
out of shape by the mere mention of an HT or the sight of me or my name would
please do so. I've got so much business here that I have to turn many people
down and have business in 4 other states that is growing steadily.  I guess
it's because I am so insecure, so paranoid, so lonely and in need of
attention that they all call me out of pity.  Shun all you want.  The world
will be a better place for it

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin