Bending rims... sideline from Re: Plate Bushings

Doug Mahard nlm@csu.cted.net
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 08:55:34 -0400

> What does Steinway use, Jim?  I've never seen it in person?  How DO they
> bend their rims?

Hi Brian,

I took the S&S factory tour about three years ago with the CT chapter of the
PTG and saw them making a rim.  My recollection is S&S were using hot hide
glue on unsteamed maple veneers, loading it into the press and pressing it
into shape with either air power or hand cranked screws (with the help of a
big wrench).

Perhaps some one from Steinway can jump in here and enlighten us.

Doug Mahard