Upright Action

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:37:59 +0930

Del,

Thanks for the info.  I  will try to track them down via the embassy and =
our local Austrade before I ask you to look up old records.

Once again, Thanks

Tony Caught ICPTG Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au

  Tony,
  =20
  This was probably the Saito action.  Mr Saito developed several =
interesting variations on the upright action theme and one of them was a =
relatively simple una corda system.  It consisted basically of a =
separate rail holding the damper flanges with the dampers being actuated =
by lift lever/wire mechanism similar to that found on the grand.  I =
briefly examined a model a few years back and would like to have pursued =
it further but the company I worked for at the time was not at all =
interested.

  I'm not sure the Saito company is still in business.  I recall that =
the guiding light of the company was the elderly gentleman I was =
corresponding with who I think died not all that long later.  If it is =
no longer around it is the piano industry's loss.  There are precious =
few innovative thinkers actively working on the piano action -- grand or =
upright -- we need all of them.

  Somewhere in my records I probably have there address from the 1980s.  =
If you really need it I can probably find it somewhere.

  Del