String Splicing

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:08:51 EDT

Tom Robinson writes:

> I did not have the right size
>  replacement (I think it was a 15 1/2).  Since I had access to an
>  identical little used piano at the school, I borrowed the string from
>  it.  I now wonder what I could have done in the same situation had I not
>  had the other piano to scavenge from.  Then I wondered about what you
>  guys (the experts......) would have done.

If there wasn't enough wire to do another splice,

1. Carry the right size. I carry loops of 12.5 through 18, about two strings
worth of each.
2. Not having the right size, I think you did the right thing. A return trip
is necessary anyway, as if you use the wrong size (15 or 16) the partial
series will not match, and you can hear it in the tone.
3. Had I not had another piano to steal from, I would have put on a #16,
pulled it a long quarter tone sharp, and finished the tuning, at which time I
would let it down to about a beat or two sharp, put a piece of felt in
between the two new segments (they will add to the volume but won't sound so
wretched if the tuning drops during the concert), and return later to put on
the right size.
Bob Davis