Square Grand Anxiety

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:53:16 -0500

>  Just accepted a call to tune an (1899?) Steinway square grand.  I've never
>  tuned one before, so should I be worried?

Dont worry, leave plenty of time so you dont have to rush to your
next appt, and expect a sore back. I like to pad the lid and lean it
back against the wall, or take it off completely if the owner will
help. Be carful tracing the correct string to the correct pin, might
help to remove the damper stop rail and the music desk, but you
should be able to reach the pins, no problem. Mark the open ones with
chalk if you use a temperament strip, I find it easier just to use
mutes. Expect to go through it twice at least, dont sweat 440 if its
way off unless the owner insists and is prepared to cover the cost of
broken strings, dont try to fix anything in the action unless youre
very carefull and confident, getting it in and out the first time can
be scary. Charge double. Consider a victorian, or earlier,
temperament if it becomes a regular patient. Good luck.