hammer traveling...

Charly Tuner charly_tuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:29:36 PDT

Newton and list,

I just today "invented" a great way to re-loop the butt flanges WITHOUT
having to remove them. You leave everything in place; just remove all the
dampers so you can work from the back of the action. First, I remove the old
broken, disintegrating loops, then...I use a very sharp punch and gently
mark on the rounded top of the flange, two small start holes, one on each
side of the flange. Then, using a very VERY small drill bit, about the
diameter of a needle, i carefully drill (just above center on the TOP of the
rounded area) and only about 1/8" deep, if that. Then I take a strand of 50
lb test fishing line. Next I bend the ends over (for a good snug fit) and
hold with a needle nose, then I apply a small drop of CA, then push into the
hole. I repeat this step for the other side. What results is actually much
stronger than the original, and the spring works perfect. This may sound
complicated, but it's not, and sure beats the he## out of taking out the
flanges, or replacing them alltogether. You also don't upset the hammers in
any way, so there is NO travelling necessary! This technique will save me
LOTS of time AND hassle taking out the flanges. Try it, you'll like it!

PS: HAs anyone besides me NOT received their MAy issue of the journal?? I've
tried contacting PTG, but no reply.

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA
Associate Member, PTG