unhappy customer

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:53:17 -0400

>   Was I a bad boy to charge her for doing a little voicing without
> getting her approval?  I admit I was frustrated that I was not going
> to get paid for all the time I had already spent, but its not like I
> charged her for something I did not do.  I think they got a bargin,
> though it is obvious they do not understand that. Doug Garman,
> AssociateGranbury, TX

Technically, yes, she's within her rights to withhold payment for any
services not agreed upon. At least that's the consumer protection law
here in Massachusetts. That said, there's alot of leeway in the real
world.
One approach is to make sure you're not trying to be "the most
competitive" in your pricing, and getting yourself jammed up if you're
not the most adept salesman of "additional services." For example,
devise a price for a "full service appointment" in which you might
devote up to 2 hours of your time, pitch raising, fine tuning, voicing,
etc. -- whatever is the highest priority. Yes, the "phone shoppers" may
keep dialing after they talk to you, but you will have fewer
misunderstandings when it's time to get your payment.

Best wishes,
Patrick Draine