unhappy customer

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 14:17:25 EDT

Doug Garman writes:

> Was I a bad boy to charge her for doing a little voicing without getting
her
> approval?

I think you were wise to offer to waive. From the husband's perspective you
had already gone through the approval process, and agreed on a level of work;
so he had a right to expect to approve any further work. Although he left it
up to his wife, you might want to be perfectly candid, say you shouldn't
have, and cheerfully decline the extra. Done right this will appear as
strength rather than weakness.

You will probably find ways to avoid this discomfort in the future:

1. Have a slightly more thorough discussion on the phone, to get a start on
realistic expectations (and some price flexibility) even before you arrive.
Start by asking how long it has been since the piano was last serviced (and
mentally double it). I quote my tuning price, but make it clear that it is
for pianos which are regularly maintained (at least annually) at standard
pitch, and quote the range of cost they might expect for pitch raise. I also
ask about any other concerns or problems, and indicate, without giving a
specific price, that the tuning fee does not include additional repairs. I am
clear that I will discuss any additional charges before I start tuning.

2. After you've done enough of these, you will recognize within a few notes
that some  voicing or regulating would help. However, you should wait to
discuss it until you feel you have developed a rapport with the customer, and
have earned their trust. Sometimes this will be soon after you begin,
sometimes at the end of the tuning, and sometimes it is better left until the
next appointment.

3. You will also learn to "read" customers about their attitude towards
service expenditures, and their level of interest in supporting their piano.

4. I do have clients who expect me to do whatever and charge whatever, but I
try to discuss cost of ANY work with ANY customer before I do it. I am
especially careful with new customers, with whom I have not established a
good understanding of their expectations.

5. You got 0.4 hours of voicing practice!

Good luck,
Bob Davis