Rodent Infestation, new info

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:11:25 EDT

>>Hi Dave,

I've searched the CDC website on this but can't find what they told you.
Could you direct me to the specific location or "quote" their response to you.

Many thanks.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario

P.S. I recall one death in Ontario (Owen Sound area) about a year ago.<<

Sure. The essence of my question to them was:

How long can the Hanta virus live after the host is either dead or gone?

I copied and pasted their response here, which is as follows:

Dear Mr. Bunch,

Thank you for your question regarding Hantavirus.

The length of time that hantaviruses will remain viable in the environment
depends upon the local conditions.  Viability for two to three days has been
shown at normal room temperature.  Exposure to sunlight will decrease the
time of viability.  Freezing temperatures will actually increase the time
that the virus remains viable, especially if not exposed to sunlight.

If you are planning on cleaning out the piano, or if you should need to
clean-up mouse droppings or urine, make sure you take the proper
precautions. You can find the information on prevention by clicking on the
following link:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/prevent3.htm.

    If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

                    Sincerely,
                Special Pathogens Branch