MAC vs PC

Doug Garman dgarman@granbury.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:49:24 -0500

I had planned to ask for input on this question for some time when I =
read several postings today from some obviously zealous MAC =
owners/users.  I have always thought I wanted to own a MAC, but the cost =
argument from PC users has always won out.  Truth is I purchased an =
"Apple IIgs" in 1987; you know what happened to them!  Now, I have a =
used Pentium 100 machine given to me by a church member.

Concerning the MAC I've heard everything from "for that higher price =
you're getting a faster, more powerful machine with better architecture" =
to "they're more user-friendly" to "they do graphics and music =
applications better/easier" to "MAC will read PC files" to "in a perfect =
world we would all be using Macs."  I know the "RCT" runs on the MAC, =
and I don't yet own an ETD.

On the other side I hear that "for the same money you can get a Windows =
machine with more memory, faster speed, bigger HD, etc." or "Windows =
machines are more upgradable and expandable" or "there's a lot more =
software available for the PC" or "MACs are not for business =
applications".

At the last two Music Educator Conventions I attended this past school =
year, the overwhelming computer of choice by the exhibitors was the =
"iMac" followed by one of the tower MAC systems.

As a musician, band director, and piano technician why should I be using =
a MAC?  I'm really not just looking for someone who is going to tell me =
what I want to hear -- well, maybe I am.  Yes, I think they're cute; so =
do my four children. I just need some convincing arguments to overcome =
the cost factor (if indeed there is one).  I got burned once by Apple.  =
I hope that doesn't happen again.

Respond to the list for all of us to read or to me personally at =
dgarman@granbury.com .  Thanks!  :o)

Doug Garman