DeMorgan numbers & graph

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:49:41 EDT

 Greetings,
Inre August DeMorgan's temperament, Bill writes:

<<  However, the more I study it, the more it
really seems like a temperament created entirely in error<snip> Yet,
I assume that it was done deliberately.
The question I have is why would anyone really want this? >>

       Why would anyone want a Pythagorean tuning with pure fifths (and
unusable "thirds") almost all the way around the circle?  Why would someone
want a 1/4 C meantone, Why would someone want an absolutely circular 12 ET?
All of these tunings offer benefits not found in the others, and they all
have their own, unique liabilities, (though the argument can be made that a
wolf is a wolf is a wolf).  This tuning of DeMorgan's is no different.   It
has strengths and weakness, also.   There are two considerations.
  #1 is that all thirds are within 4 cents of ET, there is not a lot of alien
pitch involved here.  This tuning is a mild alteration of our familiar.  150
years ago,  I would imagine that real world temperament practice was a LOT
less consistent,  and this tuning would not have been as shockingly atypical
then as it appears today.
    The other facet is more subtle and requires one to go beyond the beating
of the thirds to understand a temperament's usefulness.  The DeMorgan
produces five near pure fifths in the white keys, and as has been known  for
25 centuries,  pure fifths have a strong musical attraction.  For a
composition that uses the fifths in the melodic line or harmony, this tuning
has something to offer.
     Since we will be using this tuning for recording a Chopin piece this
weekend, it has been around on some of my instruments and I have been
watching local contemporary musicians play it.   One didn't notice it wasn't
ET (see #1 above).   Several have liked it so much they intend to use it in
the studio, (these are jazz people).  No one has been offended by it, (though
a gospel enthused gentleman thought it was a little 'off", which sorta
surprised me, but hey,  this is a new deal every day.

Bill again:
 >>Unless, as it was  explained to me, it is really meant for someone who is
so used to the sound  created by an erroneously constructed temperament and
has learned to
compensate for it in the playing that it suits the handicap.<<

  That is a definition both novel and obtuse .  I don't think it plausible
that Mr. DeMorgan proposed this tuning for harmonically handicapped
musicians.  Jorgensen gives an alternative, and logical, explanation of
Chopin's possible attraction to a tuning like this, (the source of our
current pursuit).  While the Impromptu #66 comes alive in this temperament,
several other Chopin pieces seemed somewhat lifeless. I suppose the jury will
be out until the recording is! (:)}

Bill again:
>>  To me, Chopin, Debussy and Ravel played in the De Morgan
would sound just as inappropriate because the music would have most of the
energy and tension it was meant to have taken away.  The pianist could only
compensate by playing louder and faster.  >>

      There are more ways of creating tension that by volume and speed, so
the pianist actually could do a lot of things.  As to the "energy and tension
it was meant to have", that is an assumption by the author that he knows the
musical intentions of these composers. Speculative ground, at best.   I think
 a comparison with our modern ET would be more instructive.
     The energy and tension in ET is quite high.  I didn't realize that until
I left it for a while and came back.  The 13.7 cent thirds produce an
unrelenting tension in tonal music, and that is precisely the danger.  After
a short time, the listener becomes inured to the tempering, and not only no
longer hears it, but is also left with the lack of tonal contrast inherent in
ET.  This acclimation actually reduces sensitivity to musical tension,  so
the tempering and its effect can move in opposite directions at times.
      Any of the unequal temperaments counter this lulling of the tonal
senses by offering variety in the keys.  The movement (modulation) among
varying levels of dissonance is stimulative,  thus unequal temperaments are
capable of increased musical tension, even though, physically, there may be
less overall beating occuring in the music.
     If the comparison is made between a particular Chopin piece on a
DeMorgan and on ET,  the level of emotive attraction may be stronger on the
unequal one, even though by the numbers, there is more dissonance in ET.
That is my suspicion and I intend to find out by recording a version and
turning it loose in public (talk's cheap) I will be interested in hearing
what the membership at large thinks about it.
    Of course, there will be some that refuse to listen to anything that is
outside their preconceived sense of "correct", but the loss is theirs.  They
that have ears, let them hear.
Regards,
Ed Foote
(this will also be something of a learning experience inre stability, since
we are going through 6 temperaments in 4 days.  Beginning on a mild
Victorian, ending on a Werckmeister! wish me luck, )