String coupling.

Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:07:18 +0200

Hi Roger. I have tried what you describe below several times now on several
different piano makes. Quality ranges from relatively new Steinway C's to
the Tzech "P" piano. I still get the same in every instance. No matter how
much I go back and forth re-adjusting string pitch to take care of any
slight error I find that the results are basically not predictable. There
is pitch drop on some coupled situations, rise on others, and no call on
the rest.

I also notice that once in a while you can even notice that the pitch can
rise slightly as the amplitude of the strings vibration decreases. This is
pretty seldom, but I cannot conclude anything else and that one has me
really scratching my head. I think Ron is on the right track in looking at
the soundboard / bridge as a possible cause.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.