Note ID - & Tunelab

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 06:48:43 -0500

on 6/21/00 11:43 PM, Ron Nossaman at RNossaman@KSCABLE.com wrote:

> Yea but... yea but... What the heck's the point of having a pitch standard
> centered on "A" so we can have to learn to get around some lingering
> fossilized "C"-centric pitch notation system eighty years after the fact?
> It's no wonder there's confusion with note references in technical
> correspondence with some following the ancestral plan, and some trying to
> figure it out sensibly. If the pitch standard was centered on C, it would
> be more logically acceptable, but as it is, it's nonsense. Sorry, but this
> sort of arbitrary designation offends my sense of order and logic. I
> consider it unnecessarily obfuscatory, counter productive, and "quaint" to
> no productive purpose. Why can't we get used to a sensible and rational
> system instead? Who knows, given time and therapy, we might just be able to
> make the leap.
>
> Now I know why I'm an aural tuner.
>
> Ron N

OK, I know better than to disagree with you about this.

But how does one remember the system as it is? Just pretend Bösendorfers are
common.   :)

The C-centric system works rather perfectly for the 97 note Bösendorfer
keyboard, and it is the image in my head of a C0-C8 B'dorf' keyboard that
lets me remember how the labeling system works. That and A-440 = A4.

Kent