Note ID - & Tunelab

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:54:01 -0500

>What is more curious to me is how the note designations got started.
>Why did the first musicians to consider the issue call the base of
>the no-flats, no-sharps minor scale 'A'?  Why wasn't 'A' chosen to
>represent the base of the major scale?  How did the letter 'C' come
>to own this honor?  Was the minor scale at one time more important
>than the major scale?
>
>-Robert Scott

We'll probably never know. Musicians live in a different world than normal
people - much like piano technicians or computer programmers. <G> It's just
strange to me that systems can't be updated - ever - to something obvious
and logical.  Speaking of programming, there's plenty of room on the phase
display screen for a graphic keyboard, with positional arrow (no cute
little hand necessary), as a relatively no fault reality check for the
enumeratively challenged. Or am I the only one to bring this up?

Seems like every time I learn one thing in one area, I get three times more
ignorant in another. I think I'm losing ground but I'm afraid to ask. A guy
can only support and maintain so much ignorance.

Ron N