String coupling.

Robert Moffatt moffattr@cadvision.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:12:55 -0600

> Please expound a bit on the term "cup". I am not sure exactly what we are
> talking about here. Otherwise I will give the idea of useing single string
> voicing to evening out single string partial patterns a try. Sounds
> interesting enough.

Richard,

As I'm sure you know, when the hammers are made, the way they
cut each individual hammer is usually with a guillatine. When the hammer
is cut, the outer edges of the hammer felt "spring up" (for lack of a better
discription) due to the relief of tension. This leaves the hammer low in the
centre, and high on the sholders. To needle only the centre_will_ puff the
that part of the hammer leaving it releativley square.. but, the centre
soft and the sholders hard.
Shaping the hammers first will leave the hammers level, then fit to the
strings
and voice to remove any unwanted single string partials.

> Me thinks Mr Bob has a certain distaste for ETD's ??

Only when it is quite obvious that some ETD users don't have any
real aural skills, yet delve into the world of adding or removing partials
using a visual display. (if I'm reading this right)

> Richard Brekne
> Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.
> Bergen, Norway

Bob Moffatt