Smoke Damage

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:26:12 -0400

Jim Bryant (FL) says

>  Ozone in and of itself, being a 'powerful' "bleaching" and "oxidizing"
>agent will support more rapid corrosion, rusting, drying out of rubber, break
>down of vinyl compounds, etc. than will oxygen.   Ergo any "corrosive
>capability" of deposited soot/smoke will be greatly enhanced by the
>introduction of ozone.
>
> For this reason I would not suggest putting a decent piano in an "ozone
>tent". If memory serves me correctly Dave Swartz has told us on several
>occasions just exactly why this should not be done............
>
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim (FL),

Ozone only lasts for about 30 minutes before it becomes oxygen again! Who ever suggested leaving a decent piano in an ozone tent for years on end? Oxygen will be around the piano forever, but ozone?..... only if it's left outside.

I do agree that a smoke infested piano be thoroughly cleaned before treatment.

Waddaya take me for... a Ph.&D?

John up by Toronto