Test blows & tight pins

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 06:31:14 -0400

Hi,

I've just finished my annual tuning marathon (42 NEW pianos) for the =
Orford summer music camp (so much for the sponsored loan program). All =
these are nice Yamahas. Talk about tight pins. The impact hammer wouln't =
turn them even at full swing. I had to use my extension hammer at full =
extension otherwise I would have just hurt myself. These pins were just =
twisting so much before they turned in the block that I had to try =
different techniques before I went crazy (or is is too late ?). I took =
measurements and found out that I could get a pitch change of over 27=A2 =
one way BEFORE I could feel the pins turn in the bock. This means that I =
could have gone 27=A2 flat or 27=A2 sharp before anything was stable. So =
in the end, it was all a question of hammer technique and mechanical =
biofeedback. Had to do my testblows with the tuning hammer (fudging =
sharp and low) to feel the pin's final resting place.
Sos now, I'll just wait for the humidity and the students to settle them =
all for me so I can start going my rounds and tune them again next week. =
It's good practice anyway.

Hope you all enjoy the summer holidays (for those of you who can).

Marcel

Marcel Carey, RPT, accordeur Technicien
Rock Forest  QC
(819) 564-0447