Weights on the keys

Carl W. Meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:52:10 -0700

I recall installing a pianocorder in an Estey, if I recall the correct
brand, that had the dog leg keys.  I of course adjusted the capstans and
after some time the customer complained of the keys not being level.  I
found that after a goodly amount of playing the lost motion was excessive
and the whippen no longer held the back of the key down.  I don't adhere to
the notion that the manufacturer knows best.  I solved the problem with
jiffy leads and readjusted the capstans.  The customer reported better
repetition.  It may well have been that the piano  was okay when built but
after many years of drying the weight of the key and the whippen was
reduced so that what I thought was lost motion was really non existent and
just showed up at the front top of the key.  I've noticed that many upright
pianos have some keys up and some down when the action is out.  That tells
me that either  the wood has seasoned unevenly or the manufacturer hasn't
known best.  It seems to me that small vertical pianos would repeat better
if the keys were to be at least balanced if not slightly weighted toward
the whippen end.

Carl Meyer
Santa Clara, Ca.

--- Carl W. Meyer