George Gershwin's Music

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 00:10:52 EDT

Jim writes:
<< something about George Gershwin's music and a default
tuning.  Would you explain further?  Besides being a tuner, I also play
the piano and the music of George Gershwin is my favorite.  What type of
temperment would sound best with his music.  >>

Greetings,
     I prefer equal temperament for Gershwin, having listened to it in
several temperaments, ET seemed to have the requisite energy and zip for the
music.  Inversely enough,  I hear places that seem dead when I listened to
Rhapsody in Blue in a Young tuning,  it didn't hang together for me with the
changes of tonal texture.
     This is not to say that all composers in the 20th century are best
served by ET.  We hope to begin a Cole Porter project soon , and the
intention is to use either a Broadwood's Best or a Coleman 11 for it.  It is
difficult to really discuss the relative merits of the temperaments without
having something aural to compare,  but we are working on recording as much
as we can.
Regards,
Ed Foote