Smoke Damage

Carl W. Meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:13:32 -0700

I was told by an engineer I worked with that ozone is not toxic and has no
smell.
Although not toxic it is dangerous since if you breathe too much it
oxidizes the protective lining of your respiratory tract making you a
candidate for infection and what you smell is the burning (oxidizing) of
your nasal passages.  I knew a man who did smoke odor removal in large
buildings after perhaps a fire on one floor.  A jumbo ozone generator was
put in the ventilator system to circulate thru the whole building.  I was a
bit concerned when I found that workers were in the building doing clean up
at the same time.  I built a couple of generators using ignition
transformers, stainless steel wire mesh, mica, and a fan for him, but lost
interest in the project when I found out the danger.  On one occasion I had
a sore throat for a few hours after breathing a fairly high concentration
for just a single breath.
It does a good job of smoke removal, tho.

Carl Meyer
Santa Clara, Ca.

--- Carl W. Meyer
--- cmpiano@earthlink.net