Chisels

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 10:09:50 -0500

----------
>Guy

Good tip. I put a small bevel on the *flat* side of my chisel, opposite the
main bevel, and use it flat side down. For those of you with thickness
planers who need to plane maple without chipping it up, a 1mm or so micro
bevel on the flat sides of your planer blades, bringing the cutting angle
to about 5° from the table instead of the 20° or so that's built into the
machine for use with soft woods, will do the trick. It's noisier, but the
results are impressive. Touch up the edges often, planer blades and
chisels. Maple's tough. I like the diamond "stones", consisting of a flat
steel plate with diamond bonded on one side, rather than the plastic and
steel "mesh" base. They cut quickly and controllably and stay flat forever.

Ron N