QUERY:YAMAHA GRANDS BUILT FOR JAPANESE MARKET

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:00:19 -0400

I have the same question: >"how is the wood helped to acclimate itself to
this range just by controlling the moisture content in the drying kiln?<  I
suspect that drying the wood to lower moisture contents helps it be stable
at lower atmospheric humidities. Does anyone have a technical background in
this area???

It's pretty easy to understand that soundboard drying during manufacture and
environmental humidity for the piano's lifetime would be critical to the
longevity of the soundboard. Are the case parts like rim, frames and
pinblock glued together at this kiln-dried low moisture content? Is that
what would make them more stable (just like the soundboard)? How would this
affect action parts and pinning? Will drying new wood to various moisture
contents then affect the amount they will contract or expand when subjected
to various environmental humidity levels?

In short I can identify three dyring/glueing situations, the last two of
which I have questions about:

1) The soundboard - obvious - the board is dried to an optimal MC and then
glued into the rim at that MC. This will provide (ideally) for appropriate
range of swelling and contracting in anticipated room RH ranges.

2) Case parts like rim, frames, pinblock - the wood is kiln dried. Is it
then assembled at the dry state - much like the soundboard to prevent
cracking/delaminating, etc.? Or is it allowed to acclimate to room
conditions and then glued or assembled and the kiln drying process somehow
magically makes the wood more long lasting in an environment of changing RH?

3) Action parts and pinning. How does kiln drying affect the longevity of
pinning in various RH environments?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida