wire

Carl W. Meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:44:44 -0700

Ed:   I think I worked on one of those several years ago.  I installed a
Pianocorder in it, but didn't restring it.  Imagine my chagrine when I
tried to pound the tuning pins deeper.
I was doing this for an antique dealer and in the end I put the piano on
its back and used several applications of pintite on the bottom of the
pinblock. It worked sorta.  I've always been sorry I didn't take a picture
of that piano on its back with the legs sticking up in the air on the floor
of my garage.  I could have had a picture of a dead piano and titled it
"TITS UP".  If you MUST restring it I'd use PSCALE and smooth out the
tension and the inharmonicity, but keep the overall tension as low as
practical and then tune to 440.
I suspect the hardness of the wire wouldn't affect the tension much but
could affect the tone.  Mapes made me a set of bass strings for a piano
with the winding going over the bridge, but made them just like any other
set.  Seemed okay under the circumstances.  You know  "That's the way we've
always done it".

Carl Meyer
Santa Clara, Ca.

--- Carl W. Meyer