INTERVAL

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:42:11 -0400

Friends,

Ever since this subject showed up on the list I have been wracking my brain
trying to solve the "riddle."  I taught high school theory for many years and I
think I should know the answer.  But I don't.  Argh!  I sit and stare at the
screen for many minutes and I doubt the correct answer has come to me, although I
have a proposal to offer that *might* be a step in the right direction.
Actually, I don't think I ever saw this question answered in any theory book.
Not that I read many.

I used to teach that some intervals were called perfect because they can be tuned
to have no beats.  That definitely includes unisons, fourths, fifths and
octaves.  You cannot tune 2nds, 3rds, 6ths or 7ths to have no beats, without
ending up with a really strange octave!  Does that make any sense?

In piano tuning, of course, slow beats are often there in the "perfect"
intervals.

I would like to expound on the use of intervals during the medieval period, but
theoretically I am on vacation, and I only half know what I am talking about
anyway.

Regards, Clyde