Upper Treble dilemma

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 00:08:30 +1300

Hi List,

I'm working on a 7' Schiedmayer grand from around 1900's that has seen =
quite a bit of work previously. Nothing new in that, however I have some =
queries that I'm sure many of you may be able to address.

The upper treble section has recently been restrung, (a poor job too I =
might add, and the customer thinks so too) but what I noticed first off =
is that the previous tech left out the bearing cloth between the =
agraffes and pins. (Possibly intentionally)
There is a metal curved bearing insert where the remainder of the piano =
has bearing cloth. After de-stringing I noticed that the other bearing =
inserts were timber with cloth covering.=20
My question is; should the upper treble metal insert have a cloth =
covering or is there a good reason for it being metal and possibly not =
being covered?=20

The restring job in this section was done with one gauge throughout =
(note 70 to note 88 with .825mm or .032") giving the treble a strange =
sound as well.=20
After sanding off the terrible paint job (gold house paint applied with =
yard broom) I found the original (?) plate gauge markings showing 4 =
gauge changes in this section which seems more normal to me.=20
Do most of you routinely check the scaling in the treble? If so do you =
often find improvements, as there is little room  to move in this area, =
perhaps only a gauge or so and stepping at a slightly different point?

BTW I think the same tech did the action work, the DW was too heavy to =
be read by my measure weights ie 70 plus grams.
New hammers down to note 13, some new knuckles here and there etc etc. =
Plays like a truck...

Many thanks,
Regards,

Graeme Harvey