hearing quality and tuning stretch

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 07:21:24 PST

I use an EDT to calculate tunings on a regular basis.  Normally, I pretune
the A's to make sure that the stretch matches the piano.  Recently, I was
tuning with my fitted earplugs, finished up and played the A's ........ the
top 2 or three sounded flat, and dull.

Took the plugs out and it sounded fine.

Hmmmmmmmmm...... Another piano, pre-tuned with the plugs in - much more
agressive stretch required to get the clarity and resonance. (about 10 cents
higher at A7)

So, as our ears change, (or have changed) can we expect to alter our tuning
style?

Someone else with earplugs try this out and report back - different
preferences with and without plugs?

Ron Koval

Chicago