M&H upright plate removal (was: key duplication/uprights)

Mark Dierauf mdierauf@mediaone.net
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:43:48 -0500

Brian, et al -

  I have another good canidate for serious rebuilding/re-manufacturing in my
basement. It's a 1902 Mason & Hamlin upright, model "O" 55" tall. As beat as
it is, it's still a very impresive sounding instrument. However, the
bridges, pinblock, and board are shot. Problem is, there's no way to get the
plate out without removing the sides and although there are some bad glue
joints elsewhere on the piano, the sides are glued on rock-solid. The case
is put together sort of like some old S&S uprights I've seen, where you can
remove 6 large screws from the inside of each side and separate the 'front
half' of the sides so that they come out with the keybed and cheeks as a
unit. On this M&H though, there are no screws and the 'inside' part of the
sides covers the edge of the plate above the keybed as well as the plate
perimeter screws in that area. I've seen other old M&H's that were
constructed the same way, as well as old Vose uprights. Anybody ever tackled
this problem before? I sure would like to get this sucker apart!

- Mark