key duplication/uprights

carl meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 14:20:23 -0800

An even better idea is to take some of those awesome old upright pianos
and redesign the cabinet.  If you have a great sounding upright that can
be made into an outstanding instrument from a musical point of view,
then if you are artistic you might use moldings, carving and so forth
and fake grain etc. to make a truly beautiful piece.  Maybe something
like the Nopoleon's hat piano on the cover of the march 99 Journal.
Unfortunately, I'm not artistic, but If I were, I'd then have the
problem of selling it.
I'm not a salesman either.

It would be nice if people started to appreciate the old uprights
again.  I'm not sure that will happen.  There is a guy in my chapter
that thinks square grands will soon make a comeback.  People tell me I'm
cynical, but I prefer to say that I am less naive.

Carl Meyer
Santa Clara, Ca.