"Message to Clyde" (Stumped by the Censure)

Mon, 06 Mar 2000 09:22:01 -0600

Robin,
At 22:51 03/06/2000 +1030, you wrote:

>Now... being a "Red Blooded Male" I thought that I should visit Clyde at his
>Computer and quietly explain to him that "Boys are spelt Robin, and Girls
>are spelt Robyn"

Kind Sir,

As my father would have said, he (actually we) is (are) more to be pitied
than censured.   We in this country are thoroughly confused by many names.
After all, in a country which has dropped "u" out of honour, displayed
dyslexia with regards to the final "re" in words like fibre and is hell
bent upon foisting "lite" upon us rather than "light", is it any wonder
that the spelling  "Robyn" has been mostly supplanted by "Robin"?

True, _all_ "Robyn" people I know are female, but so are _most_ spelt
"Robin".

Persons with names like Sean, Shannon, Jamie and many others are constantly
subject to incorrect address. (My uncle Kay will attest to this.)
Compounding this problem are fashions, (which for many younger folks are
mandatory), which are gender neutral.  Further compounding of this
confusion is wrought by those whose sexual preferences dictate that they
look like the opposite of what their plumbing might indicate.

>Now..... not being one to give up easily I changed the wording to...WRONG
>GENDER"...,which I thought would not offend the meekest of souls......

What you should have done is to have gone incognito - 'tis not the subject
matter being rejected.

> Robin Aussie at
>Pianotun@Globalfree.com.au is only a "Little Ole Piano Tuner" and does not
>deserve to have his name etched deeply in the guard house wall with the rest
>of the undesirables.

Being an undesirable can be fun.  I'm proud to be persona non grata in
certain circles. ;-}

>Robin (Who shaves every day)Aussie.

My ex shaved almost every day, too, but whatever else she might _not_ have
been, she _is_ a she.

Conrad (not Connie)

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
             Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

***If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know",