Refinish Ebony Sharps & Ivory

Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:04:03 -0500

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 19:42:40 -0500 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
 Instead of laquer (which I thought might wear off too soon)
> I used Forsby's Tung Oil Finish.

I would think lacquer would wear better than tung oil.

It looks pretty good, but after 2 days the
> finish is still kinda gummy. Is there any way to get that stuff to dry?

You could try infra-red lamps to facilitate drying, but I would probably
wipe off the sticky residue with naphtha or mineral spirits first to see
if that would take care of the problem.  Recoat if desired or necessary.
Very thin coats with good rubbing to generate some heat will help, but a
rub-on oil finish is way more like work than the job requires, in my
opinion.  It may be that in wiping with naphtha you will remove all or
most of the tung oil.  If so, finishing  the job with lacquer would be
easier, and better.

> And then how do I polish the ivories? Are there any specific
> compounds and/or buffing wheels that work best?

I like tripoli and a cotton buffing wheel.

> One last one. Several ivories are just starting to come unglued from
> the keys. <snip> I was thinking of just simply wicking a tad of
> thin CA under there, wiping any runs off with the solvent, clamping,
and let
> cure with room humidity.

Sounds good to me.

> Terry Farrell