pitch raising survey

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 08:00:08 -0500

I talked with a technician once who charges double the tuning rate if the piano
is 50 cents flat, and doubles the charge again if it's 100 cents flat.  For
example, if the tuning charge were $70, then a 100-cent pitchraise and tuning
would be $280.  Now I've been told we can never call anything regarding pricing
unethical, but if I were on the receiving end of that deal, I'd feel ripped off
for sure.

My personal practice is to charge for work actually performed.  I don't jack up
the charge for everyone with the assumption that I will have to do a pitchraise.
I suppose that could be done fiarly if you give a discount when a pitchraise is
not needed.  I also don't do much for free.  They pay for what they get.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger