pitch raising survey

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:29:32 -0600

Clyde,

<<I talked with a technician once who charges double the tuning rate if the
piano
is 50 cents flat, and doubles the charge again if it's 100 cents flat.  For
example, if the tuning charge were $70, then a 100-cent pitchraise and
tuning
would be $280.  Now I've been told we can never call anything regarding
pricing
unethical, but if I were on the receiving end of that deal, I'd feel ripped
off
for sure.>>

My opinion is that a charge of that nature would be excessive. But, at those
rates I would do all those pianos I could <g>. Given the above 100 cent
scenario, I could pitch raise it twice, then fine tune, and expect a decent
sound...if the piano cooperates. Maybe the price would be double, but that's
about as much extra I would feel comfortable charging. A couple of weeks
ago, a Wurlitzer spinet was a little over 100 cents flat. Two pitch raises
with the SAT, and fine tuning with the SAT took about one hour and 20
minutes. Therefore, I only charged for what I normally would for a single
pitch raise since things went really well. If it had taken longer, then it
would have been a little more. I tell my customers that they need to have
another tuning anywhere from 1-3 months with such a great pitch raise. IMO,
that gives them a better value than charging more on the first tuning. Rough
it in on the first visit, get it close but don't waste time with perfection,
then follow up at a later session. If the customer understands what is
involved with neglected pianos, they have no problem with this. I plan to do
a follow-up tuning on the spinet close to Easter.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS