pitch raising survey

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:00:40 EST

Hi, Clyde:

<< My personal practice is to charge for work actually performed.  I don't
jack up
 the charge for everyone with the assumption that I will have to do a
pitchraise.
 I suppose that could be done fiarly if you give a discount when a pitchraise
is
 not needed.  I also don't do much for free.  They pay for what they get.

Exactly what I'm getting at.  I have done too many pitch raises where I only
charged my base rate because I regularly tuned their piano.  This was meant
as an incentive for regular tuning maintenance.  Pitch raises take
significant time and are evidence of soundboard movement - which is
ultimately destructive to soundboard structure.  I install quite a few
humidity control systems, but now I will not guarantee my base rate unless
there is a system on the piano.  This way I will most likely get paid for
what I do, and the client has a better preserved, more pitch-stable piano.

BIll Shull