filing hammers

Leslie W Bartett lesbart1@juno.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:04:16 -0600

I tuned a very old upright yesterday, and realigned a few hammers. In
order to make it work, I had to file those, as the grooves were quite
deep on all of them.  I asked the customer which "sound" she preferred,
and she just didn't know.  What is of interest to me is that the filed
hammers seemed "softer", the deeply grooved ones brighter.  Now I talked
to one tech today, unidentified, but not unidentifiable, resembling Jim
Bryant very much who suggested that by filing them, I had eliminated the
"muting of the fundamental" caused by grooves, thus the ending sound had
more fundamental, and less higher partials.

I was expecting the sound to be louder, and so was surprised.  Does
someone have a short explanation that might enlighten me about filing in
general, are the "rules" different on an older piano, and what I should
expect.  It strikes me........  than when one files the grooves out, one
gets to less compacted felt, and a more mellow tone, softer, perhaps
might be expected, though what I've heard is that the sound should get
louder.

I'll be appreciative of enlightenment.
thanks
les bartlett